About the competition

In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.

The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).

Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.



Monday, June 07, 2010

For we are more than our human processes

I've tried to tell you that I love you.

Not merely that I love you, for what is that?

In this I have tried to tell you that you and I could change the world.
I believe that you and I, no matter how insignificantly, could make our world a better place.

That we may be within each other.
One. The same.

That we could celebrate the same love and suffer the same pain, That we could lay with each other, every night, breathing one breath, That we could cry for all those who have left and rejoice in all those who have joined us, That we could be representative of those who cannot represent themselves, That you and I may be agents for those whose only wish is to be.

We may love those devoid. Not because we seek them, but because they are of us.

Because I am love.
Because you are love.
Because we are love.
Because regardless of who we are, what we've had, we believe that we may be the difference.

That we may save a life, if not only our own.

That you and I may speak to he who is without hope and I may plead:
Look! Look at me! Know what I was before i surrendered to her and behold!
Look into my eyes and see the resurrection.

For we had billions (name).
But we waited, we hoped for the love that we knew would not repeat.
And of that question the answer is We and it proclaims itself through the heaving of our one breath.

For we are a love that has never been felt.
We are the tears that have fallen from our own faces.
We are the kiss that set the earth ablaze.

William

1 comment:

  1. am imagining this written in the clouds..because we all..all the billions understand cloud font...William, 'tis wondrous your writing...faintable me thinks..

    ReplyDelete