About the competition

In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.

The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).

Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.



Monday, June 07, 2010

K-Mart Radio

I shouldn't have eaten all that pasta. Way too full now. Nooo my break is almost up! Why is Andrew walking into the tea rooms? Shouldn't he be at the counter?

"Jamie I need to talk to you in private."

Urghhh I'm not in the mood for this. I just want to enjoy the last five minutes of my break in peace.

"What's up Andrew?"

"Um Jamie, what's the name of that boy you were talking about earlier?"

"You mean Andy?"

"Yeah... You said he was on tour didnt you?"

"Yeah..."

"Who was the band he was touring with?"

"Why are you asking me all these questions? You know who he is?"

Where is he going with this? Why is he starting to cry? This is really weird! What's going on?

"Um I'm really sorry Jamie but um... Andy's dead..."

What the hell is going on? Why is he saying this? Thats not funny?

"What are you on about? He's not dead. He's on tour? Why are you saying this? That's just mean! You dont joke about that sort of stuff Andrew!"

"Jamie I'm really sorry."

Why the hell is he crying? Where is my phone? This is rediculous. Who the hell jokes about this! Where is my freaking phone! Come on, come on, pick up. Pick up andy! Why aren't you picking up?

"I'm so sorry Jamie."

Pick up your damn phone Andy. Come on. Don't ring out. Please. Please pick up. Come on baby, pick up the phone.

"Don't! Just get off me Andrew. He's not dead. He just left his phone somewhere thats why hes not picking up!"

Why am I crying? This is stupid.

"Where did you get all this anyway Andrew? We're at work? How can you know this?"

"I heard it on K-Mart radio. I didnt think it was true but I ran into Scotty and he heard it too so we jumped on the computer in the lab and it was all over the internet. I am so, so sorry Jamie"

"I don't believe you! I'm calling his family!"

Why am I crying? Its all just a mix up. I'll speak to his mum and she will laugh and say they just made a mistake. Ok the phone is ringing.

"Hello Cassie? It's Jamie-Lee"

"Oh hi Jamie. How are you?"

Oh shit she doesn't know! She sounds so cheery. Oh shit what if I'm the one that has to tell her her baby brother is dead?

"Um I was just calling to find out... Its not true is it? He's ok right? It's all just a mistake yeah?"

"I'm really sorry Jamie but... he's dead."

What?

"Oh. Um. Ok. Well. Um. I. I. I better go. I'm really sorry Cassie"

Oh my god.

When I open my eyes it will all just be a bad dream. Please just be a bad dream. Please.

The only thing worse then losing the boy you love, is finding out he died from K-Mart radio.

x

Jamie-Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment