About the competition

In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.

The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).

Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.



Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Love, Lust, Loss & Intimacy

Shame, who came from darkness,
Incandescent glow of chained emancipation, If not for one night, only one moon, Walpurgisnacht, Esoteric and hysteric, The obscene shattered portions of a full moon,

Beginning with a neuro-toxic bite,
Do I feel my heart still inclined towards that delusion?
Mephistopheles, charming yet cruelly deviant.
Who but a masochist could love one so narcissistic?

Addicted to this sweet aroma,
Sensual darkness, seductive verve,
Dreams jumping from pages,
Screaming to my mind,
Laughing at my body,

Perverse and addictive pleasures,
Despite what you may permit,
Perhaps too late,
I am changed, for now I do commit.

My sorrow voices itself to the stranger many:
Darkest deeds we do tell,
burning in our brains, creating a living hell.
If not immortal their reflection would spew hideous images, Nefarious, drained of verve, of the very
indulgence of breath.

I stoke a bonfire of vanity as I gaze into what I deem as weak, miserable souls.. evaluating, judging, discriminating.
Projecting inferiority in order to create a superiority.
Nostalgia is a seductive liar,
To find one red apple in a veritable sea of green is to be simple and perhaps not articulate

Rapture pours from the Green chalice,
Malleus Maleficarum

Face, a burning abyss, fear and anger.
Hatred consume undercurrents of violence,
Electric field oscillate through to my fingers,
Numbing skin,
Physical manifestation
Flesh peeling, stripping, blackening,
Guilt, pain,
Tears might mingle in white-hot rage.
Yet, stoically composed.

magnolia
With one thought,
I have betrayed faith,
Christ my salvation,

The alluring zeal of revolution,
Painfully draws me near,
Once again, I transgress,
Revenge to be served cold and indirect,
Pernicious inveiglement of those; the meek.

Veronica Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment