The smell of you
your sweat, your aftershave
and that smoky incense
that seeped from your skin
was so intoxicating,
so dream inducing,
I didn’t wash my sheets
for weeks.
But then you didn’t call
and I was so surprised
by the hurt I felt,
for honestly,
I really hadn’t thought I cared
so much.
And when you did finally call
your voice was so distant,
so far removed,
I couldn’t help but think
I had done something,
some misdemeanour
in your eyes.
And every time I went to sleep
all I could see was your face,
your body,
hovering next to mine
waiting for me to make some move,
waiting to be let in
(I wasn’t quite ready for that).
And in the end I couldn’t even sleep
without some drug,
some mind-dulling sedative
I had to wash everything,
everything that made me think of you,
had to strip the scent of you
from my skin.
Yet still, sometimes, some scent
(some remnant of those feelings
I thought we might have shared)
comes wafting on the breeze,
and I pause in all my daily tasks
and stare long into some deep blue dream wondering how I could have been so weak, how I became so cold and stuck on you and I long for some gentle kiss to wake me from this sleep.
Shoshanna
About the competition
In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.
The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).
Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.
The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).
Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment