About the competition

In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.

The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).

Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.



Thursday, April 15, 2010

Love was Love

Sometimes I forget that we are different people.
 I see a hair on your forehead and touch mine to brush it away.

I love the way you calm when you are in my arms.
You melt into me and your breath changes.

You have the same effect on me,
Everything is put into perspective when you come home.
At 5.20 I still get excited because you are about to pull up the drive way.
And when you do you are always smiling, Your arms held open.

Before we met I used to be frightened of my body, My big curves were shy, Now I walk around the house naked Feeling uncomfortable in clothes.
You convinced me that you loved me
And all of a sudden having dimples or being chubby didn’t matter

When you finally saw that I didn’t care anymore, I could see that you felt secure Your eyes sparkled and your body relaxed.
I understood that you loved me
And that was all you ever wanted.

Our worlds shattered when we got together, The bible crusaders convinced us we were going to hell.
We would pray, cry and try to not love each other.
My heart literally hurt.
I couldn’t breathe.
Did God really think I was an abomination?
Did He liberate me to just push me aside?

We grieved the loss of faith,
We argued over it and threatened empty threats, We missed the taste of communion wine, And the purpose of being Christmas hands and feet

Then we hid,
Behind lies and a double life
It was exhausting at first,
Then it got easier

And in the hiding we found ourselves
We let go and danced in the living room
We laughed until our tummies hurt
We discovered travel and a different world view We created for ourselves new identities A life outside the church Then what they said didn’t have as much weight

Life was good
Love was Love
And God was still there

Amy

1 comment: