About the competition

In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.

The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).

Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.



Thursday, April 15, 2010

She Walked East, Along the River

She was the sort of girl who had a bath every day when she got home from work, just to wash the office from her body. The grass in her backyard was thigh deep. It took me three hours to cut it and I had to repair the lawnmower twice. She sat on the second floor window ledge, watching and laughing at me playing the man. She brought me cups of tea. We made love on the couch more often than the bed, fast and breathless when the television was boring. She had a cat called a cat and mixed metaphors regularly. We caught the same tram to work in winter and met when the only seat remaining was the one next to mine. She liked cheap wine and hated fussing over dinner. I taught her how to ride a bike, for she never had one as a child. She was my neighbour, my friend and my lover, though we never went on trips together or attended parties or danced in nightclubs or made promises. She did not ask me who I was with or what I was doing outside of our intimate world.

I left her on a Sunday. Two days later I would be on a plane. We shared a beer on the riverfront and made confessions about near misses, like that time she saw me rounding a corner just as she was saying goodbye to another lover. She was certain I had seen him climb into the cab and always wondered why I had said nothing. I had not seen him, though I remembered her being flustered when she met me at the door, dressing gown open, dragging me straight into bed so I would not notice another man’s imprint amongst the dishevelled sheets.

The beer tapped out and she gave me an awkward hug, refusing to kiss me. As she turned away I saw her face go slack, the gulp in her throat, the shudder in her shoulders and it was only then I knew what had been happening, what we had. It stunned me to the spot, my gaze fixed on her as she walked away without looking back, east, along the river.

Chris Flynn

3 comments:

  1. this takes my breath away. thank you Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is cool... the best i've read (other than mine ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. very powerful, the heart-felt imagery is potent!

    ReplyDelete