Her face to you is plain maybe; washed away like an Easter Island relic. To me her flat face and open pores, her Jewish nose and those sad and lonely eyes, I love them.
She is bony. My arm under hers on that back breaking bed, I can feel her ribs, all her knotted clothes and lace digging into my arm. Her body is rigid, and I wonder what she is thinking as we breathe in curious unison and sink to the centre of the bed.
*
It is dark in the way St. Kilda gets dark; a pallid light leaks through the window and the glass is misty with condensation. It is late. The room smells of incense and cats as I climb over her, and I know I won't sleep again tonight. I don't wake her up; she's a good sleeper.
I sit in the lounge and watch a black and white movie; a girl wants her crooked guy to go straight. In spite of myself I am drawn into their world, but I know something they don't: sex won't save you, love won't spare us. That's where you're wrong; you're wasting your time.
*
The streets are shining as I trudge along. I don't hold any false hopes, you know; I've been around too long. A cleaner whirrs; its lights flash amber as it tries to cram all the crap down the drain. The moon has a halo, and it leads me on, across a footbridge and towards the sea. I stand like a baby, my teardrops falling. Why they choose this moment? I don't know. I just don't know. It doesn't matter anyway.
There will be a perpetual place in my heart for us: on her Persian rug, sharing cups of tea. A shawl enfolds her like a spider's web. Patsy Cline is playing, Gene Pitney, Dion. Sometimes she rolls a cigarette, and I put on the kettle. She talks and I listen, I talk and she listens. We are old, friends.
Paul Whitby
About the competition
In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.
The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).
Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.
The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).
Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment