About the competition

In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.

The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).

Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.



Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Snapshot of the Exhibition from Start to Finish

Look
Can you not see?
He truly loves me
He loves ME more than Her!

I have a secret
You will never know
You cannot see my eyes
You cannot see my soul

Why can you not
Let Me Be

Keep playing Poppet
One,two,three,four
One,two,three,four
Do not stop
or we will both loose our place
One, two, three, four
One, two, three, four...

Angel Face
Yes You!
You Are
AN Angel
MY angel
Your skin,
Your neck....Oh such beauty...'tis a sin to want to kiss that neck forever But forever I do I long for you.....Oh such longing...
Such desire....
I WANT TO POSSESS YOU!

You are my trusted one
Come to me;

I look at you son
And see my memory and my death;

Vixen!
My Muse of fire
My Titian-haired goddess
My Proud Maisie, Mary, Helen, Cassandra
My Valkyrie
With you, there is the possibility of infinite happiness Be Mine, Be Mine;

You Are Mine
But not mine anymore;

You are mine
You are both mine
And I love you,
Your love for our children
Fills me with joy
That is why I capture these moments
So that you will remember
How much I love you
All

Your body is strong Geertje
You ARE my rock
For Saskia has gone to be with her babies Yes Moeder, Parter and Broeder Gracious,serene and humble But you Geertje You ARE my rock Do not desert me dear For I will never desert you, Your body is strong Geertje You Are my rock DO not doubt for a moment All will be well.....
Why Do You Not Believe ME?
Aaaah you have looked into my eyes!

Sunita, Sunita SUNITA,
Open your arms love
Open your lips
Let me drown
in your warm body

Kitty, Kitty, KAT,
Open your arms love
Open your lips
Come to Papa
Come

Isobel, Isobel, ISOBEL,
Open your arms love
Open your lips
You are Nefertiti
Come

Take that look off your face
I know
I have seen her - your sketch
Bigger than mine
Those eyes, those lips, those hips
Another gypsy
Let the tambourines ring
Whatever John wants
John gets!

I have melted into you
We are one;

I am woman
Whore, Saint, Wife
Powerful

I am frail
I am delicate
I am a beauty
I am Marie Therese
I am a beauty
I can not live without Him
I am Jacqueline
I am a beauty
I can not live without Him
Yes, it is I
I am Francoise
I am a beauty
I can live without Him

I am Peter - not an illusion
I am Gregory - steadfast and true
I am an Aboriginal Man

We have blissfully melted into one
Leaving others behind;

Sing to me loudly
So I know you are there and
I will talk about our life together
For you are you
And I am I
And I am you
and you ARE ME

Isabella H

12 comments:

  1. She has truly captured the exhibition
    incorporating the language of the period
    as well as the thoughts of the subjects
    Truly excellent !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delight to read
    The essence of the exhibition has been captured
    in many ways
    Enhancing visions of the exhibition as you read
    Taking you back in time

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it was you before I got to the last line!!!!!!!Our comments and poetry so accurately describes who we are. Is is brave or reckless to so expose ourselves to others? XX Cay

    ReplyDelete
  4. After stumbling across the exhibition in Melbourne
    i decided to review the web site
    and while reading a few works
    this piece has inspired me to try my
    hand at writing
    and to be brave at expressing myself to the world ! anaya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words come to mind
    Fascinating,imperative, expressive
    The written words have entrapped the works that
    hang in the gallery
    With love, loss and intimacy hidden within the words
    The author showed an imposing view
    A very enchanting read
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is just something
    haunting about you work
    a look beyond life
    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  7. As i drifted off to a time gone by
    with words like
    sunita sunita SUNITA
    and hidden double meanings like
    open your lips
    and come to papa
    it was a hidden treasure
    one worth reading
    ROBERT

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great little gem
    must have missed reading this one
    shows how a few paintings can make
    a great poem
    really enjoyed the read
    CATHLEEN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Undoubtedly one of the finalists
    Positively erotic and passionately written
    Showing all the feelings of a true poet
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. The poem has been read. A comment shall be written. One promise is to be broken. Ah! but what of the other?
    Isabella you have given life to the images as well as an insight into yourself!
    BS

    ReplyDelete
  11. A collection of words randomly placed on paper
    Do not make a poem
    But a well balanced selection of words do

    Written down on paper with love
    and soul from a person
    Makes the experience pleasurable
    And turns words into ART

    ReplyDelete
  12. I selected this one to read to my class
    and i was told by my students
    they wanted to go and see the paintings
    Thank you Isabella H
    You have sparked a interest in my class
    i thought would not be there
    Year 10

    ReplyDelete