About the competition

In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.

The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).

Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.



Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The Untimely Loss Of My Most Beloved

10:03 PM. So far today I have dropped everyone to school whilst listening to some horrible radio show for Caitlin's International relations and something-or-other class where Mr. Monotone has been reporting from some un-Godly hour about skinny black children and some global economic crisis.

I got out of the car at work, dreaming of scotch and almost fell ass-over-tit onto the pavement, because I was tripped by the presence of none other than mister no-hoper homeless individual who has planted his useless existence too close to my BMW.

Walked into the office, waved hello to Mary, tried to avoid listening to her croaky emotional anecdote about the rent-hike and how she didn't know what to do, and the only affordable property now was however many miles away and then she wouldn't have a job, never saw herself here when she was young blah blah blah.

So I looked to the paper for some sort of distraction from Mary's dull existence. In all her whinging she forgot to get milk for the coffee room. It was her turn. Useless excuse for a woman. In the paper, I discover that it turns out that guy, the mass murderer in Texas got the death sentence and now there is moral outrage and statements along the lines of totally inhumane and look what our society has become. I have two words for the lot of them, who cares.

Husband emailed me about his promotion. That should cover the Santorini paradise getaway nicely. He said we should get a bottle of champagne later and celebrate, but I could already feel my eyes getting heavier and the thought of hearing about the bloody accounting shit again makes the bile rise in my throat.

Arrived home around 8:00PM and poured myself a glass of merlot. Had to sit through another hour of Caitlin's International relative class or whatever homework requirements. An African village being destroyed in a riot, I skipped the channel she cracked it and went to bed. Good Riddance anyway. I swap it over to a picture of a sunny island. My husband approaches my chair and massages my shoulders, always too rough or too soft.

The picture love, it's a bit weird isn't it. It wasn't a question.

It's fine. I replied coolly, trying not to encourage the pending fixing of the TV.

Na, it's alright you see, Greg down at work says that these things do this sometimes,

He approached the television, and I felt the kink in my neck more than I had the entire day.

Leave it Peter.

No love, it's alright easily fixed, apparently there's a little gauge on the back...

Peter, I swear to God.

Don't be like that sweetheart, really it's just a tiny little thing, and it'll just fix that colour...

Smash.

It was gone, in a blue flare and a puff of smelly smoke. The world had found its most notable tragedy today and the loss of my most beloved family member.

Erin Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment