You threw it in the basket without really saying anything, not for a moment anyway. On top of the canned tomatoes, fresh basil and chorizo lay the toothbrush. We were at the supermarket buying the ingredients for pasta. Now evidently we were doing more than that.
'For your house, when I stay over' you said. We headed to isle seven, where we picked up some fettuccini.
Now during my morning ablutions our toothbrushes strike me as otherworldly and more profound than what they really are. The two brushes together, standing there in the pint glass next to the hot water tap on the sink. Hers red, mine blue.
I find them in the strangest positions. Each position I see as a message of significance.
One morning I found the brushes crossed at the base of the glass, their bristly ends about as far away from each other as is possible but touching at their base. That is the important thing, the touching, like lying in bed and just touching each other's feet, to know we are still there, that's what it reminds me of.
Another morning I found the two brushes facing, their bristles interwoven and gently touching, resting on each other for support, as if in deep, intimate discussion. I don't disturb them some mornings.
One time I found them lying parallel, basically up against one another but facing in the same direction. Not like something had caught their attention but in a position of intimacy, you have to really trust someone to let them be that close to you without worrying about what they are doing.
When I brush my own teeth and leave just your brush in the pint glass, well, it makes me sort of uncomfortable, like I've abandoned you and left you all alone. It's just a brush, but it makes me sad. And like you said, this is an opportunity for me to be selfish for once in my life, but I'm disinclined to invest in something so flimsy and inconsequential as myself when I could be involved in something bigger, like something that I feel is made of bricks and mortar, because I'm just a pile of kindling without love.
Your toothbrush is still here. I can never bring myself to throw anything away.
S.T.Pearse
About the competition
In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.
The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).
Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.
The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).
Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.
Sunday, July 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i'm surprised to see you have no comments. this is an amazing piece of writing. you have my admiration.
ReplyDeletei just cried when i finished reading your beautiful expression of love & loss. thank you. they say "to love is to lose", but i would rather cry about love lost than not know it at all. that would be the ultimate void of all time.....
ReplyDelete