About the competition

In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.

The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).

Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.



Thursday, July 08, 2010

I once was with you.

The night was still and temperate, a slight breeze passed momentarily, rustling the leaves of the great willow I stood beneath. I checked my watch- 11:36pm. I grew more and more anxious with each passing minute and a stream of negative thoughts entered my mind- 'Perhaps she wasn't able to sneak out? Maybe I have the wrong time or day? Maybe she's playing a joke on me and isn't going to show up?' I shook my head and dismissed any doubts. 'She's just running late' I said aloud, as if hearing the words spoken would add a stronger sense of truth. The snap of a twig from behind caused me to turn. A silhouetted figure stood beside the trunk of the great willow. The eyes of the figure caught the light of the moon creeping through gaps between the foliage and I could see them staring into my own. I could do nothing but watch as the figure approached except scan over it with my eyes, following the curves hidden by the chequered dress to the legs in black and the tall, black boots below that. I drew a shaky breath and looked back to the face, now totally visible, and smiled. She stopped and we found ourselves face to face and staring into each others eyes. Hers seemed to project the same thrill and excitement I felt as we stood, only centimeters between, the sweet scent of her perfume to filling my nostrils and overwhelming my senses. Her lips parted and I watched her whisper my name- 'Jaxon?' the word echoing for an eternity in my mind. My name had never sounded so enjoyable. I opened my mouth whispered her name in response. 'Zoe?' Never before had a name been so beautiful to say, but at the same time so dangerous. Her hand brushed a strand of hair from in front of my face and she leaned in, head tilting sideways, eyes slowly closing, lips slightly parted, and brushed her lips over mine, sending a slight electrified sensation through my body. Her head pulled back for an instant and she brought her mouth back, pausing only millimeters away. I felt as though she was slowly draining all the air from out of my lungs. Unable to hold back any longer, I leaned in and pressed my lips to hers, so softly and tenderly kissing me back. I reached an arm around her hips, the other to the back of her short black hair and pulled her in closer, her midriff grinding against mine as our lips pressed and kissed, hearts thumping with a mixture of excitement, passion and ecstasy as both bodies locked together in a passionate embrace.

My eyes shot open and I was blinded by the sunlight now pouring through the open curtains. With a groan I rolled onto my side to read the numbers on the alarm clock. I made out the digits 7:01. With another groan I rubbed my eyes and sighed. Only a dreamâ?

Jaxon

No comments:

Post a Comment