About the competition

In conjunction with the exhibition Love, Loss & Intimacy the NGV invites you to create your own piece of writing exploring notions of love, loss or intimacy, under 500 words. If you're over 18 years of age and a Victorian resident, post your entry on the blog (1 entry per person) for the chance to win a romantic weekend getaway for two at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and lunch for two at Persimmon.

The judging panel is comprised of three judges: Professor Jennifer Strauss (Editor of the Oxford Anthology of Australian Love Poetry), Penny Modra (Editor of Three Thousand; The Age arts columnist) and Richard Watts (Presenter of SmartArts on TripleR).

Entries accepted until 11 July 2010 and the winner of the competition will be announced and their entry recited on 18 July following on from the 2pm Floor Talk.



Sunday, July 11, 2010

You have run me through like a Robber Baron

I have come to the end of my skin. I reach out, I am sure I had some more once. It's all falling away now you see, just like in the days when I first knew you. I, who only ever saw the blood in people, fell down in your syllabine silence as we wound in and in together. I would forget the shape of your face as soon as I turned from you. You were like a vortex which sweeps away a universe so that it may exist. You moved only upon the waves of intuition. Now it is the same. I see the blue pores on the back of your neck, but I forget the shade of hair which curled above it. I hear the echo of your mouth in the moments after you finished a sentence, dropped low like the alien call of a whale. I scrabble for the frame that held you, splintering like bore wood. You are dissolving into limpid nothing. And compliantly, I dissolve too.


I grind together as if made by churned sea glass. Time has gone wrong, it has left too much in me, I clank and clutter through days, waiting. I am of course well armed with well meaning words and philosophies. Hopeless as a dance, piled on me like casseroles to be frozen and defrosted as needed. I am to glean a lesson. I am to put myself back out there. I am to move on. I remain a haunted doorway. The sea has drunk what it could of me, and now has thrown me out.

I do not know which way to look. I roll a pen between my forefinger and thumb, unsure what it was I was ever supposed to do with it. You and I long ago disbanded with the casing of the world. How could I help shattering in your pale camellia smell, which spun so insistently around me?

I reach out, I am sure there was some more once.

There is nothing.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment